The Dog & Deer Tavern - Premium Bar
The Stockton Inn's Dog & Deer Tavern, once the location of the area's earliest post office, is surely one of the oldest and possibly one of the first taverns in New Jersey having received its operating license in 1796. Initially known as the “Farmer’s Bar”, the tavern was in what is currently Bush’s Dining Room, but was moved into its current location in 1832.
Today the tavern hosts a nostalgic setting with period tin ceiling and walls and an antique mahogany bar. Masterfully created by a local tin smith, the ceiling and walls are roughly as old as the first addition built in 1832.
Recently renamed The Dog & Deer Tavern in honor of the fact that a Saint Bernard by the name of Brandy and a doe by the name of Mabel coexisted on the property and were photographed together in the tavern in the 1950's. Also featured in the picture are big band leader Paul Whiteman and one of the Colligan sons. Ask to see it the next time you're in.View Tavern Menu